[bangkokpost] The working committee dealing with contract conversion for 3G network services in Thailand needs at least one month to study legal agreement now held by private operators before launching innovative 3G network services in Thailand, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Sunday.
In his weekly TV and radio address, Mr Abhisit said he fully realised that the public wants to see the 3G network services implemented as soon as possible.
Delays in the implementation has put the country behind several other countries, he said, adding that the National Telecommunications Commission is currently preparing the bidding process for the 3G network system.
It is expected that it would take more than one month before the bidding could start, Mr Abhisit said.
He reiterated that his government remains concerns that bidding for 3G network services could affect present concession holders of the current 2G system which could eventually hamper the country’s telecommunications system.
The government wants to convert concessions for the 2G system into a license system as the 3G system, he added.
Regarding advice from the National Reform Committee headed by former prime minister Anand Panyarachun to lift the emergency decree now imposed in 16 provinces, including Bangkok, Mr Abhisit said much of the public and security-related agencies believe the decree is still needed because some areas remain infiltrated by anti-government elements.
Most of the public are not now affected by the decree, imposed since April 7 during the anti-government protest which disbanded in a military show of force little more than two months ago, Mr Abhisit said.
The prime minister said last week that the emergency decree would be gradually lifted.
PM: Panel needs month to review 3G