[AFP] Iran said on Monday that it has stripped a consortium including UAE telecoms giant Etisalat of the licence to run its third national mobile telephone network.
The licence will now be awarded to a consortium including Kuwait's Zain which was runner up in the tendering process, Iran's official IRNA news agency said.
The consortium, in which Etisalat has a 49-percent stake, had said that it had paid the 300 million euro (400 million dollar) fee for the licence.
But on Sunday Telecommunications Minister Mohammad Soleymani denied the payment had been made.
Instead, the licence will be transferred to Zain.
Iran strips UAE consortium of mobile licence